The CPCS A16 Industrial/Counterbalance Forklift course is a 3-day programme designed to provide novice and intermediate operators with sufficient forklift training which will enable them to competently and safely carry out the role as a counterbalance forklift operator and pass the CPCS theory and practical assessments. For experienced operators, we also offer a 2-day course which excludes a day's practical training.
Duration: 3 Days
CPCS stands for the Construction Plant Competence Scheme- a card scheme designed to prove the skills of plant operatives. It is run by the Construction Industry Training Board also known as CITB. CPCS was launched in 2003 at the request of employers, to help them comply with regulations and requirements, and aims to apply common standards for all plant operators.
The CPCS scheme is made up of 3 key stages. Firstly, there's the training course and your 2-year Red CPCS Card. Secondly, there is the NVQ and finally, there is your 5-year Blue CPCS Card. Fast Line Training Services can help at every stage to ensure a simple journey through the CPCS scheme for you. As described, there are two main types of CPCS card, the Red and the Blue. The Red Card is given to new entrants after successfully completing the CPCS technical testing and it lasts for 2 years. The Blue Card is obtained by completing an NVQ in the relevant field of expertise. These Blue CPCS Cards last for 5 years. If you're interested in an NVQ, then please visit our Plant NVQs page.
Anyone that wants to progress down the CPCS route must have completed the passed the CSCS test (also known as the Health, Safety and Environment test) within the last two years as it is a mandatory pre-requisite for all CPCS courses.
You then need to decide whether you're an experienced operator or novice. Clearly, if you're new to CPCS and operating plant, then you'll need to take the 3-day course. In terms of deeming yourself experienced, there is no hard or fast rule, but we would recommend at least three years' operating experience.
It's also worth considering that the practical test is based around "text-book" procedures, it would be like taking your driving test now – would you still pass?
What You Learn on your CPCS A16 Industrial Forklift Course:
At the end of your CPCS A16 Industrial/Counterbalance Forklift training course you will be able to:
- Describe the nature of the sector of industry and their role and responsibilities as a plant operator.
- Name & explain the purpose of principal components, the basic construction, controls and terminology.
- Prepare for lifting duties. Explain the actions required for hazards, underground & overhead services.
- Lift and remove various loads up to the full working height. Place and remove loads from a vehicle with accuracy.
- With and without loads, pass through a chicane executing full right and left turns in a forward and reverse direction.
- Reverse with a load in a straight line (10m) and pass through a restriction (max clearance under 300mm).
- Lift and place the load at a high level then retrieve and place at a given point (100mm tolerance).
- Lift and place 3 loads onto the truck bed (75mm tolerance) and remove upon completion.
- Stack 3 loads vertically, de-stack loads and place in a straight line (75mm tolerance).
- Carry out undercutting by both lifting and placing a load. Carry out shut down and securing procedures.
- Park the forklift and carry out shut down and securing procedures
The CPCS A16 Industrial/Counterbalance Forklift course consists of two key parts, practical and theory. You’ll spend at a day learning the related theory, a day practicing the practical element followed by a final day of assessment (for both theory and practical).
How to Pass your CPCS A16 Industrial Forklift Course:
The CPCS A16 Industrial Forklift course consists of two key elements – theory and practical. The training course is split, focusing on each specifically. The theory modules are classroom-based and involve group activities, interaction, and assessment. The practical involves instruction and application by the delegates. Our tutors are very experienced and can adapt their style, pace or terminology to help better aid your understanding. Feel free to talk to them if you have any concerns.
Worried about the learning on this type of course? There's no need to be – give us a call and we'll happily provide reasonable adjustments to help you get the most from the course. We believe passionately in providing fair access to all learning opportunities.
What to Bring:
- Date of passing the Health and Safety Touch Screen Test (this must have been passed within the last 2 years)
- Photographic ID (CSCS Card, Driving Licence, Passport, CPCS Card etc.)
- National Insurance number
- Positive Attitude
Those working on construction sites need to be competent when operating plant and machinery and be aware of the health and safety of others around them. The CPCS Certification Card scheme proves the skills of plant operators and is the most widely recognised scheme for plant safety. CPCS cards are issued on successful completion of competence programs that include both theory and practical tests. This helps to demonstrate the operating skills and health and safety awareness of workers. On many sites, a CPCS card is a mandatory requirement to operate the plant on-site; for example, on UKCG sites.
Completing CPCS courses can significantly increase your earning ability as demand for competent and hardworking operators is high.
Why Fast Line Training?
Fast Line Training Services is the right choice, we are totally driven by your success, supporting you every step of the way towards gaining your qualification. The people who choose us enjoy their learning experience, you might be an individual seeking personal progression and development or a multi-national organisation. We have the expertise, resources and flexibility to deliver a complete professional service.
We pride ourselves on our learners' success, our metrics for success are based on the achievement of the people and companies we work with. We demonstrate this by offering all individuals and businesses a money-back guarantee. "NO PASS - NO PAY". It has taken 10 years to develop an association of quality training providers that share our values, only the very best trainers, advisors, mentors and industry experts get the opportunity to work with us.
- CPCS A17 Telehandler Course
- CPCS A31 Ride On Roller Course
- CPCS A36 Lorry Loader Course
- CPCS A40 Slinger/Signaller A - All Types - All Duties
- CPCS A09 Forward Tipping Dumper
- CPCS A58 & A59 Excavator Courses
- CPCS A62 Crane/Lifting Operations Supervisor
- CPCS A73 Plant & Vehicle Marshaller
- CPCS A77 Telehandler 360 Slew
- CPCS Combined A09 Dumper & A31 Roller Course