CPCS stands for the Construction Plant Competence Scheme, a card scheme designed to prove the skills of plant operatives. It is run by the Construction Industry Training Board, also known as CITB. CPCS was launched in 2003 at the request of employers, to help them comply with regulations and requirements, and aims to apply common standards for all plant operators.
The CPCS scheme is made up of 3 key stages. Firstly, there's the training course and your 2-year Red CPCS Card. Secondly, there is the NVQ and finally, there is your 5-year Blue CPCS Card. Fast Line Training Services can help at every stage to ensure a simple journey through the CPCS scheme for you. As described, there are two main types of CPCS card, the Red and the Blue. The Red Card is given to new entrants after successfully completing the CPCS technical testing and it lasts for 2 years. The Blue Card is obtained by completing an NVQ in the relevant field of expertise. These Blue CPCS Cards last for 5 years. If you're interested in an NVQ, then please visit our Plant NVQs page.
Anyone that wants to progress down the CPCS route must have completed the passed the CSCS test (also known as the Health, Safety and Environment test) within the last two years as it is a mandatory pre-requisite for all CPCS courses.
You then need to decide whether you're an experienced operator or novice. Clearly, if you're new to CPCS and operating plant, then you'll need to take the 3-day course. In terms of deeming yourself experienced, there is no hard or fast rule, but we would recommend at least three years' operating experience.
It's also worth considering that the practical test is based around "text-book" procedures, it would be like taking your driving test now – would you still pass?
Duration: 3 Days or 2 Days for Experienced Operators
What You Learn on your CPCS A40 Slinger/Signaller Course:
At the end of your CPCS A40 Slinger/Signaller Course you will be able to:
- Communicate with the plant operator. Identify centres of gravity and establish weights of loads.
- Prepare the area and maintain exclusion zones. Choose relevant accessories for given load.
- Secure and detach various loads to the requisite lifting point using relevant accessories and procedures.
- Guide and control movement of loads. Accurately place loads. Comply with procedures.
- Establish the weight and features of loads prior to lifting. Establish communication with lifting operator.
- Lift load, guide to max radius, slew for 180° and land in designated area. Lift load, guide to min radius, slew for 360° and place in area.
- Guide machine to load. Lift load, position to suitable radius for travel, guide load over given route including turns.
- Lift load from ground level, land in a designated area out of operators sight and detach.
- Attach load out of sight area and return the load to original start point, land at a designated place and detach accessory.
- Ensure all loads are made safe following each activity. Maintain communication with machine operator.
The CPCS A40 Slinger/Signaller course consists of two key parts, practical and theory. You’ll spend a day learning the related theory, a day practicing the practical elements followed by a final day of assessment (for both theory and practical).
How to Pass your CPCS A40 Slinger/Signaller Course:
The CPCS A40 Slinger/Signaller course consists of two key elements – theory and practical. The training course is split, focusing on each specifically. The theory modules are classroom-based and involve group activities, interaction and assessment. The practical involves instruction and application by the delegates. Our tutors are very experienced and can adapt their style, pace or terminology to help better aid your understanding. Feel free to talk to them if you have any concerns.
Worried about the learning on this type of course? There's no need to be – give us a call and we'll happily provide reasonable adjustments to help you get the most from the course. We believe passionately in providing fair access to all learning opportunities.
How to book your CPCS A40 Slinger/Signaller Course course
You can book online for your CPCS A40 Slinger/Signaller Course course...
...or contact us directly for group bookings;
Call us on 020 8596 5121 if you need help, advice or wish to book over the phone.
3 Days or 2 Days for Experienced Operators
Those working on construction sites need to be competent when operating plant and machinery and be aware of the health and safety of others around them. The CPCS Certification Card scheme proves the skills of plant operators and is the most widely recognised scheme for plant safety. CPCS cards are issued on successful completion of competence programs that include both theory and practical tests. This helps to demonstrate the operating skills and health and safety awareness of workers. On many sites, a CPCS card is a mandatory requirement to operate plant on site; for example, on UKCG sites.
Completing CPCS courses can significantly increase your earning ability as demand for competent and hardworking operators is high.
Why Fast Line Training?
Fast Line Training Services is the right choice, we are totally driven by your success, supporting you every step of the way towards gaining your qualification. The people who choose us enjoy their learning experience, you might be an individual seeking personal progression and development or a multi-national organisation. We have the expertise, resources and flexibility to deliver a complete professional service.
We pride ourselves on our learners' success, our metrics for success are based on the achievement of the people and companies we work with. We demonstrate this by offering all individuals and businesses a money-back guarantee. "NO PASS - NO PAY". It has taken 10 years to develop an association of quality training providers that share our values, only the very best trainers, advisors, mentors and industry experts get the opportunity to work with us.\
- CPCS A16 Industrial Forklift Course
- CPCS A17 Telehandler Course
- CPCS A31 Ride On Roller Course
- CPCS A36 Lorry Loader Operator
- CPCS A09 Forward Tipping Dumper
- CPCS A58 & A59 Excavator Courses
- CPCS A62 Crane/ Lift Supervisor
- CPCS A73 Plant & Vehicle Marshaller
- CPCS A77 Telehandler 360 Slew Course
- CPCS Combined A09 Dumper & A31 Roller Course