The first step towards achieving your Level B Switching and Strapping qualification is to gain experience and knowledge of working on the Railway as PTS DCCR operative. The Level B Switching and Strapping Course enables you to assist in the isolation process for a possession, you can attend Level B Switching and Strapping Course on your chosen date when you are ready to progress. Prior to attending the Level B Switching Course, you will need to complete an online pre-qualifier eLearning Emergency First Aid knowledge check, which generates a certificate of achievement you can print and bring on the day of your course and is valid for 2 years.
Your Railway Medical needs to be in date with a current Drug and Alcohol test. If you change Employer/Sponsor you will need to take a new Drug and Alcohol test, contacts us to book an appointment prior to attending your course or book online.
Duration: 2 Days
What You Learn on your Level B Switching & Strapping Course:
The Level B Switching and Strapping course consists of theory and practical elements including;
- Legislation and industry standards appertaining to isolation of the conductor rail
- 'Traction Power supply System' associated with DC Electrified Lines
- Types of switches that are used as part of the isolation process including 'Hook Switches' and 'Track Isolating Switches'
- The roles and responsibilities of people involved in the isolation procedure
- The isolation process and the procedures that need to be followed including authorisation, qualifications and safety
- Testing and Strapping Equipment
- Testing and Strapping Procedures
- Use an approved Live Line Tester to prove the Conductor is not energised
- Open and close switches in a safe and efficient manner in line with industry standards
- Operate switches under the instruction of a Level 'A' Person on Network Rail Infrastructure
- Knowledge of the 'Mentoring' and 'Assessment' process and the requirement for completing a 'Log Book'.
On successful completion of the Level B Switching and Strapping course, you are free to assist in the DC isolations process anywhere on the Network Rail Managed Infrastructure.
How to Pass your Level B Switching & Strapping Course:
Throughout the Level B Switching and Strapping course there are a series of verbal, written and practical assessments. We can provide additional learning support if required. The pass rate at the centre for the Level B Switching and Strapping course is 98% and if you don’t pass first time you can attend another course free of charge!
The Level B Switching and Strapping qualification lasts for three years, within 4 months you must complete a minimum of 4 shifts during the mentoring period. Provided your mentor has signed your work experience logbook, you’re eligible for a post mentoring assessment. To maintain your Level B Switching and Strapping competency an additional interim assessment must be carried out between 18-22 months from the date of your course, leading up to expiry you can book a Level B Switching and Strapping Refresher Course.
Many people take a temporary job on the Railway but end up staying within the rail industry for the rest of their career. For the next 10 years the government has released a huge amount of money to maintain and enhance the rail network. The first phase of the High Speed 2 project has created an additional 16,000 Railway jobs.
Why Fast Line Training?
Fast Line Training Services is the right choice, we are totally driven by your success, supporting you every step of the way towards gaining your qualification. The people who choose us enjoy their learning experience, you might be an individual seeking personal progression and development or a multi-national organisation. We have the expertise, resources and flexibility to deliver a complete professional service.
We pride ourselves on our learners’ success, our metrics for success are based on the achievement of the people and companies we work with. We demonstrate this by offering all individuals and businesses a money-back guarantee. “NO PASS - NO PAY”. It has taken 10 years to develop an association of quality training providers that share our values, only the very best trainers, advisors, mentors and industry experts get the opportunity to work with us.